This course is an introduction to child counselling and has three focus areas: (1) It will help you to understand trauma and its effects on children; (2) it will help you to understand the essence of helping relationships with children and (3) it will show you how the child’s language, play, can be involved as a means of communication in the counselling process.
Through examples, case studies and exercises you will gain understanding of yourself and others, in particular children, and by following basic principles, you will be able to enter into a helping relationship with emotionally wounded children.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the concept of “healing”.
- Identify trauma and its effect on children.
- Facilitate the development of a healing relationship.
- Listen actively.
- Help a group of children in a crisis.
- Apply basic play and storytelling skills to facilitate communication in a relationship with a traumatized child.
- Help a Christian group to walk with wounded children.
- Lecturer: Bev van Rensburg